Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Emergent Church

Greetings friends,

Who has ever heard of the Emergent Church? This was a term that I had heard mostly associated with more Evangelical (perhaps bordering on Fundamentalist) Churches and with Churches that preach the "gospel" of prosperity (blah! notice the lowercase "g" and the quotation marks, please). I heard a lot about this movement at the Consortium of Endowed Episcopal Parishes - some good, some bad.

I wonder what a positive emergent church experiment might look like in the Episcopal Church. I know that the Cathedral of St. Mark's in Seattle is doing compline every Sunday evening and drawing hundreds of college and young adult people. This service looks very much like a compline/evensong service that might have been sung hundreds of years ago. The nearest I can figure, this is an emergent church movement that draws from what we already know and love about the Episcopal Church and Anglican history - and it works. I am intrigued, to be sure.

Here is an article that was recently on the Episcopal Life webpage.

If you have any ideas about this model or comments on this article, please email them to me at: leopold@stpaulschatt.org.

Yours in Christ,
Bob

No comments: